Ultrasound guided percutaneous biopsies of suspected mediastinal lesions.

S. A. Samad, N. A. Sharifah, M. A. Zulfiqar, A. Maimunah, A. Yahya, W. Zainudin

    Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

    7 Citations (Scopus)

    Abstract

    Realtime ultrasonography with general purpose sector transducer was used to guide 87 percutaneous biopsies on 82 patients with lesions suspected to be mediastinal masses on plain chest radiographs. In seven patients who had dyspnea the biopsies were done in erect or semi-erect sitting positions. Definitive diagnosis was obtained from 66 lesions (80.5%) where 46 (70.0%) were mediastinal and the remaining 20 lesions (30.0%) arising from the lung. Of the 46 mediastinal lesions where specific diagnosis were made, 42 (91.0%) were anterior and four (0.9%) posterior mediastinal lesions. The majority of these anterior mediastinal masses were lymphomatous nodes followed by germ cell tumours whereas all four posterior mediastinal masses were neurogenic. Of the lung lesions, 19 were primary malignancies. The remaining lung lesion which was located posteriorly was cryptococcus infection. One patient developed massive hemothorax, but subsequently recovered. No significant complications were encountered in the remaining patients. Surgery was carried on 11 patients. There is correlation between definitive diagnosis from percutaneous biopsy and final diagnosis after surgery in 80% of patients. It is proposed that all percutaneous biopsies for thoracic masses which abut the chest wall and cause mediastinal widening on a plain chest radiograph be guided by ultrasound. It can be effectively accomplished with ease and safety even without the use of dedicated biopsy ultrasound probes or biopsy attachments, and on patients in erect or semi-erect positions.

    Original languageEnglish
    Pages (from-to)421-426
    Number of pages6
    JournalMedical Journal of Malaysia
    Volume48
    Issue number4
    Publication statusPublished - Dec 1993

    Fingerprint

    Biopsy
    Thorax
    Lung
    Hemothorax
    Cryptococcus
    Germ Cell and Embryonal Neoplasms
    Thoracic Wall
    Transducers
    Posture
    Dyspnea
    Ultrasonography
    Safety
    Infection
    Neoplasms

    ASJC Scopus subject areas

    • Medicine(all)

    Cite this

    Samad, S. A., Sharifah, N. A., Zulfiqar, M. A., Maimunah, A., Yahya, A., & Zainudin, W. (1993). Ultrasound guided percutaneous biopsies of suspected mediastinal lesions. Medical Journal of Malaysia, 48(4), 421-426.

    Ultrasound guided percutaneous biopsies of suspected mediastinal lesions. / Samad, S. A.; Sharifah, N. A.; Zulfiqar, M. A.; Maimunah, A.; Yahya, A.; Zainudin, W.

    In: Medical Journal of Malaysia, Vol. 48, No. 4, 12.1993, p. 421-426.

    Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

    Samad, SA, Sharifah, NA, Zulfiqar, MA, Maimunah, A, Yahya, A & Zainudin, W 1993, 'Ultrasound guided percutaneous biopsies of suspected mediastinal lesions.', Medical Journal of Malaysia, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 421-426.
    Samad SA, Sharifah NA, Zulfiqar MA, Maimunah A, Yahya A, Zainudin W. Ultrasound guided percutaneous biopsies of suspected mediastinal lesions. Medical Journal of Malaysia. 1993 Dec;48(4):421-426.
    Samad, S. A. ; Sharifah, N. A. ; Zulfiqar, M. A. ; Maimunah, A. ; Yahya, A. ; Zainudin, W. / Ultrasound guided percutaneous biopsies of suspected mediastinal lesions. In: Medical Journal of Malaysia. 1993 ; Vol. 48, No. 4. pp. 421-426.
    @article{231a4737ee22440ab2f522b63b643852,
    title = "Ultrasound guided percutaneous biopsies of suspected mediastinal lesions.",
    abstract = "Realtime ultrasonography with general purpose sector transducer was used to guide 87 percutaneous biopsies on 82 patients with lesions suspected to be mediastinal masses on plain chest radiographs. In seven patients who had dyspnea the biopsies were done in erect or semi-erect sitting positions. Definitive diagnosis was obtained from 66 lesions (80.5{\%}) where 46 (70.0{\%}) were mediastinal and the remaining 20 lesions (30.0{\%}) arising from the lung. Of the 46 mediastinal lesions where specific diagnosis were made, 42 (91.0{\%}) were anterior and four (0.9{\%}) posterior mediastinal lesions. The majority of these anterior mediastinal masses were lymphomatous nodes followed by germ cell tumours whereas all four posterior mediastinal masses were neurogenic. Of the lung lesions, 19 were primary malignancies. The remaining lung lesion which was located posteriorly was cryptococcus infection. One patient developed massive hemothorax, but subsequently recovered. No significant complications were encountered in the remaining patients. Surgery was carried on 11 patients. There is correlation between definitive diagnosis from percutaneous biopsy and final diagnosis after surgery in 80{\%} of patients. It is proposed that all percutaneous biopsies for thoracic masses which abut the chest wall and cause mediastinal widening on a plain chest radiograph be guided by ultrasound. It can be effectively accomplished with ease and safety even without the use of dedicated biopsy ultrasound probes or biopsy attachments, and on patients in erect or semi-erect positions.",
    author = "Samad, {S. A.} and Sharifah, {N. A.} and Zulfiqar, {M. A.} and A. Maimunah and A. Yahya and W. Zainudin",
    year = "1993",
    month = "12",
    language = "English",
    volume = "48",
    pages = "421--426",
    journal = "Medical Journal of Malaysia",
    issn = "0300-5283",
    publisher = "Malaysian Medical Association",
    number = "4",

    }

    TY - JOUR

    T1 - Ultrasound guided percutaneous biopsies of suspected mediastinal lesions.

    AU - Samad, S. A.

    AU - Sharifah, N. A.

    AU - Zulfiqar, M. A.

    AU - Maimunah, A.

    AU - Yahya, A.

    AU - Zainudin, W.

    PY - 1993/12

    Y1 - 1993/12

    N2 - Realtime ultrasonography with general purpose sector transducer was used to guide 87 percutaneous biopsies on 82 patients with lesions suspected to be mediastinal masses on plain chest radiographs. In seven patients who had dyspnea the biopsies were done in erect or semi-erect sitting positions. Definitive diagnosis was obtained from 66 lesions (80.5%) where 46 (70.0%) were mediastinal and the remaining 20 lesions (30.0%) arising from the lung. Of the 46 mediastinal lesions where specific diagnosis were made, 42 (91.0%) were anterior and four (0.9%) posterior mediastinal lesions. The majority of these anterior mediastinal masses were lymphomatous nodes followed by germ cell tumours whereas all four posterior mediastinal masses were neurogenic. Of the lung lesions, 19 were primary malignancies. The remaining lung lesion which was located posteriorly was cryptococcus infection. One patient developed massive hemothorax, but subsequently recovered. No significant complications were encountered in the remaining patients. Surgery was carried on 11 patients. There is correlation between definitive diagnosis from percutaneous biopsy and final diagnosis after surgery in 80% of patients. It is proposed that all percutaneous biopsies for thoracic masses which abut the chest wall and cause mediastinal widening on a plain chest radiograph be guided by ultrasound. It can be effectively accomplished with ease and safety even without the use of dedicated biopsy ultrasound probes or biopsy attachments, and on patients in erect or semi-erect positions.

    AB - Realtime ultrasonography with general purpose sector transducer was used to guide 87 percutaneous biopsies on 82 patients with lesions suspected to be mediastinal masses on plain chest radiographs. In seven patients who had dyspnea the biopsies were done in erect or semi-erect sitting positions. Definitive diagnosis was obtained from 66 lesions (80.5%) where 46 (70.0%) were mediastinal and the remaining 20 lesions (30.0%) arising from the lung. Of the 46 mediastinal lesions where specific diagnosis were made, 42 (91.0%) were anterior and four (0.9%) posterior mediastinal lesions. The majority of these anterior mediastinal masses were lymphomatous nodes followed by germ cell tumours whereas all four posterior mediastinal masses were neurogenic. Of the lung lesions, 19 were primary malignancies. The remaining lung lesion which was located posteriorly was cryptococcus infection. One patient developed massive hemothorax, but subsequently recovered. No significant complications were encountered in the remaining patients. Surgery was carried on 11 patients. There is correlation between definitive diagnosis from percutaneous biopsy and final diagnosis after surgery in 80% of patients. It is proposed that all percutaneous biopsies for thoracic masses which abut the chest wall and cause mediastinal widening on a plain chest radiograph be guided by ultrasound. It can be effectively accomplished with ease and safety even without the use of dedicated biopsy ultrasound probes or biopsy attachments, and on patients in erect or semi-erect positions.

    UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0027792834&partnerID=8YFLogxK

    UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0027792834&partnerID=8YFLogxK

    M3 - Article

    C2 - 8183166

    AN - SCOPUS:0027792834

    VL - 48

    SP - 421

    EP - 426

    JO - Medical Journal of Malaysia

    JF - Medical Journal of Malaysia

    SN - 0300-5283

    IS - 4

    ER -