The level of physical activities amongst elderly in a community

R. Ayiesah

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

5 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Little is known of Malaysian older people's participation in physical activities, and the purpose of this pilot study is to explore their participation and the barriers. A self-administered questionnaire was given to 80 eligible respondents at the Kuala Lumpur Health Clinic of which 70 responded. Thirty-six (51.4%) were males and 34 (48.6%) were females. There were 26 (37.1%) Malays, 20 (28.6%) Chinese, 18 (25.7%) Indians and 6 (8.6%) of other ethnic groups. Forty (57.1%) took part in some form of physical activities and the remaining 30 (42.9%) reported no participation at all. The Chinese participated actively in physical activities (90%), followed by Indians (66.7%) and Malays (30.8%). The five common activities were walking (60%), tai chi (20%), gardening (12.5%), stretching (2.5%) and cycling (5.0%). Identified barriers to physical activities were lack of time (26.7%), having health problems (26.7%), was already fit (26.7%), no companion to exercise with (13.3%) and no exercise knowledge (6.7%). These findings indicated that emphasis should be given to the females and the Malay ethnic group when planning physical activity education for the older people as they were identified to be the least active groups. (JUMMEC 2007; 10(1): 29-33).

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)29-33
Number of pages5
JournalJournal of Health and Translational Medicine
Volume10
Issue number1
Publication statusPublished - 2007
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Exercise
Ethnic Groups
Gardening
Tai Ji
Physical Education and Training
Health
Walking
Surveys and Questionnaires

Keywords

  • Geriatric
  • Older persons
  • Physical activities

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Medicine(all)

Cite this

The level of physical activities amongst elderly in a community. / Ayiesah, R.

In: Journal of Health and Translational Medicine, Vol. 10, No. 1, 2007, p. 29-33.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{5ec370a9ecbc406b95f8066927661d1f,
title = "The level of physical activities amongst elderly in a community",
abstract = "Little is known of Malaysian older people's participation in physical activities, and the purpose of this pilot study is to explore their participation and the barriers. A self-administered questionnaire was given to 80 eligible respondents at the Kuala Lumpur Health Clinic of which 70 responded. Thirty-six (51.4{\%}) were males and 34 (48.6{\%}) were females. There were 26 (37.1{\%}) Malays, 20 (28.6{\%}) Chinese, 18 (25.7{\%}) Indians and 6 (8.6{\%}) of other ethnic groups. Forty (57.1{\%}) took part in some form of physical activities and the remaining 30 (42.9{\%}) reported no participation at all. The Chinese participated actively in physical activities (90{\%}), followed by Indians (66.7{\%}) and Malays (30.8{\%}). The five common activities were walking (60{\%}), tai chi (20{\%}), gardening (12.5{\%}), stretching (2.5{\%}) and cycling (5.0{\%}). Identified barriers to physical activities were lack of time (26.7{\%}), having health problems (26.7{\%}), was already fit (26.7{\%}), no companion to exercise with (13.3{\%}) and no exercise knowledge (6.7{\%}). These findings indicated that emphasis should be given to the females and the Malay ethnic group when planning physical activity education for the older people as they were identified to be the least active groups. (JUMMEC 2007; 10(1): 29-33).",
keywords = "Geriatric, Older persons, Physical activities",
author = "R. Ayiesah",
year = "2007",
language = "English",
volume = "10",
pages = "29--33",
journal = "Journal of the University of Malaya Medical Centre",
issn = "1823-7339",
publisher = "Journal of University Malaya Medical Centre",
number = "1",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - The level of physical activities amongst elderly in a community

AU - Ayiesah, R.

PY - 2007

Y1 - 2007

N2 - Little is known of Malaysian older people's participation in physical activities, and the purpose of this pilot study is to explore their participation and the barriers. A self-administered questionnaire was given to 80 eligible respondents at the Kuala Lumpur Health Clinic of which 70 responded. Thirty-six (51.4%) were males and 34 (48.6%) were females. There were 26 (37.1%) Malays, 20 (28.6%) Chinese, 18 (25.7%) Indians and 6 (8.6%) of other ethnic groups. Forty (57.1%) took part in some form of physical activities and the remaining 30 (42.9%) reported no participation at all. The Chinese participated actively in physical activities (90%), followed by Indians (66.7%) and Malays (30.8%). The five common activities were walking (60%), tai chi (20%), gardening (12.5%), stretching (2.5%) and cycling (5.0%). Identified barriers to physical activities were lack of time (26.7%), having health problems (26.7%), was already fit (26.7%), no companion to exercise with (13.3%) and no exercise knowledge (6.7%). These findings indicated that emphasis should be given to the females and the Malay ethnic group when planning physical activity education for the older people as they were identified to be the least active groups. (JUMMEC 2007; 10(1): 29-33).

AB - Little is known of Malaysian older people's participation in physical activities, and the purpose of this pilot study is to explore their participation and the barriers. A self-administered questionnaire was given to 80 eligible respondents at the Kuala Lumpur Health Clinic of which 70 responded. Thirty-six (51.4%) were males and 34 (48.6%) were females. There were 26 (37.1%) Malays, 20 (28.6%) Chinese, 18 (25.7%) Indians and 6 (8.6%) of other ethnic groups. Forty (57.1%) took part in some form of physical activities and the remaining 30 (42.9%) reported no participation at all. The Chinese participated actively in physical activities (90%), followed by Indians (66.7%) and Malays (30.8%). The five common activities were walking (60%), tai chi (20%), gardening (12.5%), stretching (2.5%) and cycling (5.0%). Identified barriers to physical activities were lack of time (26.7%), having health problems (26.7%), was already fit (26.7%), no companion to exercise with (13.3%) and no exercise knowledge (6.7%). These findings indicated that emphasis should be given to the females and the Malay ethnic group when planning physical activity education for the older people as they were identified to be the least active groups. (JUMMEC 2007; 10(1): 29-33).

KW - Geriatric

KW - Older persons

KW - Physical activities

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=77953471149&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=77953471149&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

VL - 10

SP - 29

EP - 33

JO - Journal of the University of Malaya Medical Centre

JF - Journal of the University of Malaya Medical Centre

SN - 1823-7339

IS - 1

ER -