The incidence of nosocomial infection in the Intensive Care Unit, Hospital Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia

ICU-acquired nosocomial infection surveillance program 1998-1999.

S. W. Rozaidi, J. Sukro, Adnan Dan

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

14 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

CU-acquired nosocomial infection (NI) remains one of the major causes of ICU mortality. This study presents the incidence of ICU-acquired nosocomial infection in ICU HUKM for the years 1998 and 1999, as part of the ongoing ICU-acquired nosocomial infection surveillance program. The overall incidence was 23%. The main types of NI was lower respiratory tract infection (15.3%), primary bacteraemia (8.1%), ventilator associated pneumonia (5.4%), urinary tract infection (2.0%), skin infection (1.6%) central venous catheter sepsis (1.2%) and surgical skin infection (0.8%). The overall culture positive nosocomial infection rate was only 12.1%, majority from the lungs (12.6%), blood (7.3%), skin swabs (2.0%), and urine (1.6%). The main gram-negative organism cultured was Acinetobacter sp. (19%) and Staph. aureus (8.5%) was the gram-positive organism. The overall ICU mortality rate was 27.5% of which 60.9% of patients who died were attributed directly to sepsis.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)207-222
Number of pages16
JournalMedical Journal of Malaysia
Volume56
Issue number2
Publication statusPublished - Jun 2001
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Malaysia
Cross Infection
Intensive Care Units
Incidence
Skin
Sepsis
Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia
Acinetobacter
Central Venous Catheters
Mortality
Bacteremia
Infection
Urinary Tract Infections
Respiratory Tract Infections
Cohort Studies
Urine
Lung

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Medicine(all)

Cite this

@article{6f743391036a4188afd8d9143ce141fa,
title = "The incidence of nosocomial infection in the Intensive Care Unit, Hospital Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia: ICU-acquired nosocomial infection surveillance program 1998-1999.",
abstract = "CU-acquired nosocomial infection (NI) remains one of the major causes of ICU mortality. This study presents the incidence of ICU-acquired nosocomial infection in ICU HUKM for the years 1998 and 1999, as part of the ongoing ICU-acquired nosocomial infection surveillance program. The overall incidence was 23{\%}. The main types of NI was lower respiratory tract infection (15.3{\%}), primary bacteraemia (8.1{\%}), ventilator associated pneumonia (5.4{\%}), urinary tract infection (2.0{\%}), skin infection (1.6{\%}) central venous catheter sepsis (1.2{\%}) and surgical skin infection (0.8{\%}). The overall culture positive nosocomial infection rate was only 12.1{\%}, majority from the lungs (12.6{\%}), blood (7.3{\%}), skin swabs (2.0{\%}), and urine (1.6{\%}). The main gram-negative organism cultured was Acinetobacter sp. (19{\%}) and Staph. aureus (8.5{\%}) was the gram-positive organism. The overall ICU mortality rate was 27.5{\%} of which 60.9{\%} of patients who died were attributed directly to sepsis.",
author = "Rozaidi, {S. W.} and J. Sukro and Adnan Dan",
year = "2001",
month = "6",
language = "English",
volume = "56",
pages = "207--222",
journal = "Medical Journal of Malaysia",
issn = "0300-5283",
publisher = "Malaysian Medical Association",
number = "2",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - The incidence of nosocomial infection in the Intensive Care Unit, Hospital Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia

T2 - ICU-acquired nosocomial infection surveillance program 1998-1999.

AU - Rozaidi, S. W.

AU - Sukro, J.

AU - Dan, Adnan

PY - 2001/6

Y1 - 2001/6

N2 - CU-acquired nosocomial infection (NI) remains one of the major causes of ICU mortality. This study presents the incidence of ICU-acquired nosocomial infection in ICU HUKM for the years 1998 and 1999, as part of the ongoing ICU-acquired nosocomial infection surveillance program. The overall incidence was 23%. The main types of NI was lower respiratory tract infection (15.3%), primary bacteraemia (8.1%), ventilator associated pneumonia (5.4%), urinary tract infection (2.0%), skin infection (1.6%) central venous catheter sepsis (1.2%) and surgical skin infection (0.8%). The overall culture positive nosocomial infection rate was only 12.1%, majority from the lungs (12.6%), blood (7.3%), skin swabs (2.0%), and urine (1.6%). The main gram-negative organism cultured was Acinetobacter sp. (19%) and Staph. aureus (8.5%) was the gram-positive organism. The overall ICU mortality rate was 27.5% of which 60.9% of patients who died were attributed directly to sepsis.

AB - CU-acquired nosocomial infection (NI) remains one of the major causes of ICU mortality. This study presents the incidence of ICU-acquired nosocomial infection in ICU HUKM for the years 1998 and 1999, as part of the ongoing ICU-acquired nosocomial infection surveillance program. The overall incidence was 23%. The main types of NI was lower respiratory tract infection (15.3%), primary bacteraemia (8.1%), ventilator associated pneumonia (5.4%), urinary tract infection (2.0%), skin infection (1.6%) central venous catheter sepsis (1.2%) and surgical skin infection (0.8%). The overall culture positive nosocomial infection rate was only 12.1%, majority from the lungs (12.6%), blood (7.3%), skin swabs (2.0%), and urine (1.6%). The main gram-negative organism cultured was Acinetobacter sp. (19%) and Staph. aureus (8.5%) was the gram-positive organism. The overall ICU mortality rate was 27.5% of which 60.9% of patients who died were attributed directly to sepsis.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0035381335&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0035381335&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

VL - 56

SP - 207

EP - 222

JO - Medical Journal of Malaysia

JF - Medical Journal of Malaysia

SN - 0300-5283

IS - 2

ER -