The challenge in malaysian industries in implementing design of experiment

Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingConference contribution

Abstract

This paper presents phenomena and challenge faced by Malaysian Industry in implementing design of experiment (DoE). The pilot survey conducted has unveiled several issues of DoE encountered in industry and to highlight the importance research to unfold the needs for effective implementation of DoE in real working environment. The importance of DoE as a tool for innovation and sustainable process is in line with the government strategic planning targeting for efficient ways in improving competitiveness and penetrating global market. Being superior in product performance as well as having robust processing method ensured quality and cost is manageable to sustain customer confidence. It was found that 45% of companies were interested in applying the DoE, the other 55 % of the companies were unable to deploy DoE as critical tools in industry. It is important that the industry is to be assisted in understanding the important of DoE and to the areas where they are important to be used. A framework is recommended for a successful implementation of DoE programme.

Original languageEnglish
Title of host publication6th International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management in Kuala Lumpur, IEOM 2016
PublisherIEOM Society
Pages1735-1745
Number of pages11
Volume8-10 March 2016
ISBN (Print)9780985549749
Publication statusPublished - 2016
Event6th International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management in Kuala Lumpur, IEOM 2016 - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Duration: 8 Mar 201610 Mar 2016

Other

Other6th International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management in Kuala Lumpur, IEOM 2016
CountryMalaysia
CityKuala Lumpur
Period8/3/1610/3/16

Fingerprint

Design of experiments
Industry
Strategic planning
Innovation
Processing
Costs

Keywords

  • Design of Experiment
  • Manufacturing Industry and Distinctive Capability

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Strategy and Management
  • Management Science and Operations Research
  • Control and Systems Engineering
  • Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering

Cite this

Jamaluddin, H., A Ghani, J., Ab Rahman, M. N., & Md Deros, B. (2016). The challenge in malaysian industries in implementing design of experiment. In 6th International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management in Kuala Lumpur, IEOM 2016 (Vol. 8-10 March 2016, pp. 1735-1745). IEOM Society.

The challenge in malaysian industries in implementing design of experiment. / Jamaluddin, Haris; A Ghani, Jaharah; Ab Rahman, Mohd Nizam; Md Deros, Baba.

6th International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management in Kuala Lumpur, IEOM 2016. Vol. 8-10 March 2016 IEOM Society, 2016. p. 1735-1745.

Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingConference contribution

Jamaluddin, H, A Ghani, J, Ab Rahman, MN & Md Deros, B 2016, The challenge in malaysian industries in implementing design of experiment. in 6th International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management in Kuala Lumpur, IEOM 2016. vol. 8-10 March 2016, IEOM Society, pp. 1735-1745, 6th International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management in Kuala Lumpur, IEOM 2016, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 8/3/16.
Jamaluddin H, A Ghani J, Ab Rahman MN, Md Deros B. The challenge in malaysian industries in implementing design of experiment. In 6th International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management in Kuala Lumpur, IEOM 2016. Vol. 8-10 March 2016. IEOM Society. 2016. p. 1735-1745
Jamaluddin, Haris ; A Ghani, Jaharah ; Ab Rahman, Mohd Nizam ; Md Deros, Baba. / The challenge in malaysian industries in implementing design of experiment. 6th International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management in Kuala Lumpur, IEOM 2016. Vol. 8-10 March 2016 IEOM Society, 2016. pp. 1735-1745
@inproceedings{272d76d3dcd64782ae7ecb6922e513fa,
title = "The challenge in malaysian industries in implementing design of experiment",
abstract = "This paper presents phenomena and challenge faced by Malaysian Industry in implementing design of experiment (DoE). The pilot survey conducted has unveiled several issues of DoE encountered in industry and to highlight the importance research to unfold the needs for effective implementation of DoE in real working environment. The importance of DoE as a tool for innovation and sustainable process is in line with the government strategic planning targeting for efficient ways in improving competitiveness and penetrating global market. Being superior in product performance as well as having robust processing method ensured quality and cost is manageable to sustain customer confidence. It was found that 45{\%} of companies were interested in applying the DoE, the other 55 {\%} of the companies were unable to deploy DoE as critical tools in industry. It is important that the industry is to be assisted in understanding the important of DoE and to the areas where they are important to be used. A framework is recommended for a successful implementation of DoE programme.",
keywords = "Design of Experiment, Manufacturing Industry and Distinctive Capability",
author = "Haris Jamaluddin and {A Ghani}, Jaharah and {Ab Rahman}, {Mohd Nizam} and {Md Deros}, Baba",
year = "2016",
language = "English",
isbn = "9780985549749",
volume = "8-10 March 2016",
pages = "1735--1745",
booktitle = "6th International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management in Kuala Lumpur, IEOM 2016",
publisher = "IEOM Society",

}

TY - GEN

T1 - The challenge in malaysian industries in implementing design of experiment

AU - Jamaluddin, Haris

AU - A Ghani, Jaharah

AU - Ab Rahman, Mohd Nizam

AU - Md Deros, Baba

PY - 2016

Y1 - 2016

N2 - This paper presents phenomena and challenge faced by Malaysian Industry in implementing design of experiment (DoE). The pilot survey conducted has unveiled several issues of DoE encountered in industry and to highlight the importance research to unfold the needs for effective implementation of DoE in real working environment. The importance of DoE as a tool for innovation and sustainable process is in line with the government strategic planning targeting for efficient ways in improving competitiveness and penetrating global market. Being superior in product performance as well as having robust processing method ensured quality and cost is manageable to sustain customer confidence. It was found that 45% of companies were interested in applying the DoE, the other 55 % of the companies were unable to deploy DoE as critical tools in industry. It is important that the industry is to be assisted in understanding the important of DoE and to the areas where they are important to be used. A framework is recommended for a successful implementation of DoE programme.

AB - This paper presents phenomena and challenge faced by Malaysian Industry in implementing design of experiment (DoE). The pilot survey conducted has unveiled several issues of DoE encountered in industry and to highlight the importance research to unfold the needs for effective implementation of DoE in real working environment. The importance of DoE as a tool for innovation and sustainable process is in line with the government strategic planning targeting for efficient ways in improving competitiveness and penetrating global market. Being superior in product performance as well as having robust processing method ensured quality and cost is manageable to sustain customer confidence. It was found that 45% of companies were interested in applying the DoE, the other 55 % of the companies were unable to deploy DoE as critical tools in industry. It is important that the industry is to be assisted in understanding the important of DoE and to the areas where they are important to be used. A framework is recommended for a successful implementation of DoE programme.

KW - Design of Experiment

KW - Manufacturing Industry and Distinctive Capability

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85018388940&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=85018388940&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Conference contribution

SN - 9780985549749

VL - 8-10 March 2016

SP - 1735

EP - 1745

BT - 6th International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management in Kuala Lumpur, IEOM 2016

PB - IEOM Society

ER -