Passive optical signal tapping device

Mohd Syuhaimi Ab Rahman, B. C. Ng, R. Ismail

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

2 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

A fully passive optical signal tapping device named Passive In-line Monitoring (PIM) device is developed to provide and increase the monitoring and maintenance capabilities of Fiber-To-The-Home (FTTH). This device will be permanently installed with the FTTH trunk lines to tap out a small ratio of triple-play signals for monitoring appliance without affecting the service transmission. The PIM device optically splits the full-duplex signals into two portions; 98% maintains in the transmission link, while the other 2% is simultaneously connects to a portable tester unit for identifying the signal presence and direction. Such features also allow the network operators to maintain and operate their network more cost-effectively and offer the end-users with an improved survivability and reliability network, which is continuously monitored 24 h a day and 7 days a week. A PIM device prototype had been successfully developed in this study and implemented in FTTH. The experimental results show the parameters of PIM device are operating wavelength 1310/1480/1550 ran, operating bandwidth±15 ran, insertion loss< 1.5 dB, return loss>35 dB and directionality>55 dB.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)3731-3738
Number of pages8
JournalJournal of Applied Sciences
Volume9
Issue number20
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2009

Fingerprint

Monitoring
Wavelength
Fiber to the x
Costs

Keywords

  • FTTH
  • Monitoring appliance
  • PIM device
  • Signal presence
  • Survivability and reliability network

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • General

Cite this

Passive optical signal tapping device. / Ab Rahman, Mohd Syuhaimi; Ng, B. C.; Ismail, R.

In: Journal of Applied Sciences, Vol. 9, No. 20, 2009, p. 3731-3738.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Ab Rahman, Mohd Syuhaimi ; Ng, B. C. ; Ismail, R. / Passive optical signal tapping device. In: Journal of Applied Sciences. 2009 ; Vol. 9, No. 20. pp. 3731-3738.
@article{54f6d51f059d4ecaaea31b8bc0d2fd1d,
title = "Passive optical signal tapping device",
abstract = "A fully passive optical signal tapping device named Passive In-line Monitoring (PIM) device is developed to provide and increase the monitoring and maintenance capabilities of Fiber-To-The-Home (FTTH). This device will be permanently installed with the FTTH trunk lines to tap out a small ratio of triple-play signals for monitoring appliance without affecting the service transmission. The PIM device optically splits the full-duplex signals into two portions; 98{\%} maintains in the transmission link, while the other 2{\%} is simultaneously connects to a portable tester unit for identifying the signal presence and direction. Such features also allow the network operators to maintain and operate their network more cost-effectively and offer the end-users with an improved survivability and reliability network, which is continuously monitored 24 h a day and 7 days a week. A PIM device prototype had been successfully developed in this study and implemented in FTTH. The experimental results show the parameters of PIM device are operating wavelength 1310/1480/1550 ran, operating bandwidth±15 ran, insertion loss< 1.5 dB, return loss>35 dB and directionality>55 dB.",
keywords = "FTTH, Monitoring appliance, PIM device, Signal presence, Survivability and reliability network",
author = "{Ab Rahman}, {Mohd Syuhaimi} and Ng, {B. C.} and R. Ismail",
year = "2009",
doi = "10.3923/jas.2009.3731.3738",
language = "English",
volume = "9",
pages = "3731--3738",
journal = "Journal of Applied Sciences",
issn = "1812-5654",
publisher = "Asian Network for Scientific Information",
number = "20",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Passive optical signal tapping device

AU - Ab Rahman, Mohd Syuhaimi

AU - Ng, B. C.

AU - Ismail, R.

PY - 2009

Y1 - 2009

N2 - A fully passive optical signal tapping device named Passive In-line Monitoring (PIM) device is developed to provide and increase the monitoring and maintenance capabilities of Fiber-To-The-Home (FTTH). This device will be permanently installed with the FTTH trunk lines to tap out a small ratio of triple-play signals for monitoring appliance without affecting the service transmission. The PIM device optically splits the full-duplex signals into two portions; 98% maintains in the transmission link, while the other 2% is simultaneously connects to a portable tester unit for identifying the signal presence and direction. Such features also allow the network operators to maintain and operate their network more cost-effectively and offer the end-users with an improved survivability and reliability network, which is continuously monitored 24 h a day and 7 days a week. A PIM device prototype had been successfully developed in this study and implemented in FTTH. The experimental results show the parameters of PIM device are operating wavelength 1310/1480/1550 ran, operating bandwidth±15 ran, insertion loss< 1.5 dB, return loss>35 dB and directionality>55 dB.

AB - A fully passive optical signal tapping device named Passive In-line Monitoring (PIM) device is developed to provide and increase the monitoring and maintenance capabilities of Fiber-To-The-Home (FTTH). This device will be permanently installed with the FTTH trunk lines to tap out a small ratio of triple-play signals for monitoring appliance without affecting the service transmission. The PIM device optically splits the full-duplex signals into two portions; 98% maintains in the transmission link, while the other 2% is simultaneously connects to a portable tester unit for identifying the signal presence and direction. Such features also allow the network operators to maintain and operate their network more cost-effectively and offer the end-users with an improved survivability and reliability network, which is continuously monitored 24 h a day and 7 days a week. A PIM device prototype had been successfully developed in this study and implemented in FTTH. The experimental results show the parameters of PIM device are operating wavelength 1310/1480/1550 ran, operating bandwidth±15 ran, insertion loss< 1.5 dB, return loss>35 dB and directionality>55 dB.

KW - FTTH

KW - Monitoring appliance

KW - PIM device

KW - Signal presence

KW - Survivability and reliability network

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=70349808473&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=70349808473&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.3923/jas.2009.3731.3738

DO - 10.3923/jas.2009.3731.3738

M3 - Article

VL - 9

SP - 3731

EP - 3738

JO - Journal of Applied Sciences

JF - Journal of Applied Sciences

SN - 1812-5654

IS - 20

ER -