Mycoplasma infection in Malaysian children: Laboratory investigation and antimicrobial therapy

Anita Sulong, Thiru Murugaan, A. L. Balakrishnan, Ng Li En, Noraini Mohamad Zain, Farah Liana Mohd Sabri, Umi Kalsom @ Satariah Ali, Siti Norlia Othman, Md. Mostafizur Rahman

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Background: Mycoplasma pneumonia (M. pneumoniae) is an important causative agent of childhood infection with variable clinical presentations. The objective of the study was to evaluate the laboratory investigation and antimicrobial therapy of M. pneumoniae infection in children admitted to paediatric ward.

Materials & Methods: A total of 111 children, of which 59 (53.2%) boys and 52 (46.8%) girls, with median age of 2 years (inter quartile range 1-6 years) with suspected M. pneumoniae infection were tested for IgM by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA). The children were classified as seropositive and seronegative.

Results: Of the 111 children, 45 (40.5%) had serological evidence of M. pneumoniae infection and the remaining 66 (59.5%) were seronegative. There was significant association (p < 0.001) between age and serology response. Seropositive children were more likely to be older (median age 5.0 [interquartile range 2- 7] years, p < 0.001). Children with M. pneumoniae infection were less likely to have cough (p = 0.023) in which 55 (65.5%) patients having cough were seronegative. There was no significant association between laboratory findings of full blood count and serology.

Conclusion: In addition to clinical and laboratory features, other factors like age group and absence of cough might be helpful in predicting M. pneumoniae infection.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)75-78
Number of pages4
JournalBangladesh Journal of Medical Science
Volume14
Issue number1
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 9 Jan 2015

Fingerprint

Mycoplasma Pneumonia
Mycoplasma Infections
Infection
Cough
Serology
Therapeutics
Immunoglobulin M
Age Groups
Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay
Pediatrics

Keywords

  • Antimicrobial therapy
  • Atypical pneumonia
  • Children
  • Enzyme linked immunosorbent assay
  • Mycoplasma pneumoniae
  • Pneumonia

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Medicine(all)

Cite this

Sulong, A., Murugaan, T., Balakrishnan, A. L., En, N. L., Zain, N. M., Sabri, F. L. M., ... Rahman, M. M. (2015). Mycoplasma infection in Malaysian children: Laboratory investigation and antimicrobial therapy. Bangladesh Journal of Medical Science, 14(1), 75-78. https://doi.org/10.3329/bjms.v14i1.21564

Mycoplasma infection in Malaysian children : Laboratory investigation and antimicrobial therapy. / Sulong, Anita; Murugaan, Thiru; Balakrishnan, A. L.; En, Ng Li; Zain, Noraini Mohamad; Sabri, Farah Liana Mohd; Ali, Umi Kalsom @ Satariah; Othman, Siti Norlia; Rahman, Md. Mostafizur.

In: Bangladesh Journal of Medical Science, Vol. 14, No. 1, 09.01.2015, p. 75-78.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Sulong, Anita ; Murugaan, Thiru ; Balakrishnan, A. L. ; En, Ng Li ; Zain, Noraini Mohamad ; Sabri, Farah Liana Mohd ; Ali, Umi Kalsom @ Satariah ; Othman, Siti Norlia ; Rahman, Md. Mostafizur. / Mycoplasma infection in Malaysian children : Laboratory investigation and antimicrobial therapy. In: Bangladesh Journal of Medical Science. 2015 ; Vol. 14, No. 1. pp. 75-78.
@article{508584b0db0c415caa3d20be021d78b0,
title = "Mycoplasma infection in Malaysian children: Laboratory investigation and antimicrobial therapy",
abstract = "Background: Mycoplasma pneumonia (M. pneumoniae) is an important causative agent of childhood infection with variable clinical presentations. The objective of the study was to evaluate the laboratory investigation and antimicrobial therapy of M. pneumoniae infection in children admitted to paediatric ward.Materials & Methods: A total of 111 children, of which 59 (53.2{\%}) boys and 52 (46.8{\%}) girls, with median age of 2 years (inter quartile range 1-6 years) with suspected M. pneumoniae infection were tested for IgM by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA). The children were classified as seropositive and seronegative.Results: Of the 111 children, 45 (40.5{\%}) had serological evidence of M. pneumoniae infection and the remaining 66 (59.5{\%}) were seronegative. There was significant association (p < 0.001) between age and serology response. Seropositive children were more likely to be older (median age 5.0 [interquartile range 2- 7] years, p < 0.001). Children with M. pneumoniae infection were less likely to have cough (p = 0.023) in which 55 (65.5{\%}) patients having cough were seronegative. There was no significant association between laboratory findings of full blood count and serology.Conclusion: In addition to clinical and laboratory features, other factors like age group and absence of cough might be helpful in predicting M. pneumoniae infection.",
keywords = "Antimicrobial therapy, Atypical pneumonia, Children, Enzyme linked immunosorbent assay, Mycoplasma pneumoniae, Pneumonia",
author = "Anita Sulong and Thiru Murugaan and Balakrishnan, {A. L.} and En, {Ng Li} and Zain, {Noraini Mohamad} and Sabri, {Farah Liana Mohd} and Ali, {Umi Kalsom @ Satariah} and Othman, {Siti Norlia} and Rahman, {Md. Mostafizur}",
year = "2015",
month = "1",
day = "9",
doi = "10.3329/bjms.v14i1.21564",
language = "English",
volume = "14",
pages = "75--78",
journal = "Bangladesh Journal of Medical Science",
issn = "2223-4721",
publisher = "Ibn Sina Trust",
number = "1",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Mycoplasma infection in Malaysian children

T2 - Laboratory investigation and antimicrobial therapy

AU - Sulong, Anita

AU - Murugaan, Thiru

AU - Balakrishnan, A. L.

AU - En, Ng Li

AU - Zain, Noraini Mohamad

AU - Sabri, Farah Liana Mohd

AU - Ali, Umi Kalsom @ Satariah

AU - Othman, Siti Norlia

AU - Rahman, Md. Mostafizur

PY - 2015/1/9

Y1 - 2015/1/9

N2 - Background: Mycoplasma pneumonia (M. pneumoniae) is an important causative agent of childhood infection with variable clinical presentations. The objective of the study was to evaluate the laboratory investigation and antimicrobial therapy of M. pneumoniae infection in children admitted to paediatric ward.Materials & Methods: A total of 111 children, of which 59 (53.2%) boys and 52 (46.8%) girls, with median age of 2 years (inter quartile range 1-6 years) with suspected M. pneumoniae infection were tested for IgM by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA). The children were classified as seropositive and seronegative.Results: Of the 111 children, 45 (40.5%) had serological evidence of M. pneumoniae infection and the remaining 66 (59.5%) were seronegative. There was significant association (p < 0.001) between age and serology response. Seropositive children were more likely to be older (median age 5.0 [interquartile range 2- 7] years, p < 0.001). Children with M. pneumoniae infection were less likely to have cough (p = 0.023) in which 55 (65.5%) patients having cough were seronegative. There was no significant association between laboratory findings of full blood count and serology.Conclusion: In addition to clinical and laboratory features, other factors like age group and absence of cough might be helpful in predicting M. pneumoniae infection.

AB - Background: Mycoplasma pneumonia (M. pneumoniae) is an important causative agent of childhood infection with variable clinical presentations. The objective of the study was to evaluate the laboratory investigation and antimicrobial therapy of M. pneumoniae infection in children admitted to paediatric ward.Materials & Methods: A total of 111 children, of which 59 (53.2%) boys and 52 (46.8%) girls, with median age of 2 years (inter quartile range 1-6 years) with suspected M. pneumoniae infection were tested for IgM by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA). The children were classified as seropositive and seronegative.Results: Of the 111 children, 45 (40.5%) had serological evidence of M. pneumoniae infection and the remaining 66 (59.5%) were seronegative. There was significant association (p < 0.001) between age and serology response. Seropositive children were more likely to be older (median age 5.0 [interquartile range 2- 7] years, p < 0.001). Children with M. pneumoniae infection were less likely to have cough (p = 0.023) in which 55 (65.5%) patients having cough were seronegative. There was no significant association between laboratory findings of full blood count and serology.Conclusion: In addition to clinical and laboratory features, other factors like age group and absence of cough might be helpful in predicting M. pneumoniae infection.

KW - Antimicrobial therapy

KW - Atypical pneumonia

KW - Children

KW - Enzyme linked immunosorbent assay

KW - Mycoplasma pneumoniae

KW - Pneumonia

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84921514133&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84921514133&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.3329/bjms.v14i1.21564

DO - 10.3329/bjms.v14i1.21564

M3 - Article

AN - SCOPUS:84921514133

VL - 14

SP - 75

EP - 78

JO - Bangladesh Journal of Medical Science

JF - Bangladesh Journal of Medical Science

SN - 2223-4721

IS - 1

ER -