Monitoring of thunderstorms activity over the Antarctic Peninsula based on GPS sensing

Wayan Suparta

Research output: Contribution to journalConference article

Abstract

This paper aimed to present the monitoring of thunderstorms using the Global Positioning System (GPS). With employing the Precipitable Water Vapor (PWV) sensed by ground-based GPS, the thunderstorm activity can be detected by delaying the GPS signals in the atmosphere. The research has been conducted at Carlini Base of Antarctic Peninsula (62.23°S and 58.63°W) during the 2017 summer campaign. To validate the measurement results, the meteorology sensors and the lightning sensor were also installed collocated with GPS receiver. Meteorology sensors measured the surface pressure, temperature, and relative humidity and simultaneously with GPS signals are used to obtain PWV. While lightning sensor detected the time, intracloud (IC), cloud-to-ground (CG) and the distance of the lightning. To detect the response of thunderstorm activities on GPS PWV, an hourly analysis is performed. Results showed that most of the thunderstorm create lighting where 96% of the lightning activity detected consists of IC type. The remaining 4% of the lightning is the CG type. The GPS PWV is delayed one hour prior to IC lightning occurrence and delayed half an hour to one hour for CG. The response of GPS PWV to CG and IG types show respective proportional and inversely trends indicating that thunderstorm correlates with moisture content.

Original languageEnglish
Article number012001
JournalIOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science
Volume169
Issue number1
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 1 Aug 2018
Externally publishedYes
Event9th IGRSM International Conference and Exhibition on Geospatial and Remote Sensing: Geospatial Enablement, IGRSM 2018 - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Duration: 24 Apr 201825 Apr 2018

Fingerprint

thunderstorm
GPS
lightning
precipitable water
monitoring
water vapor
sensor
meteorology
surface pressure
relative humidity
moisture content
atmosphere
summer

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Environmental Science(all)
  • Earth and Planetary Sciences(all)

Cite this

Monitoring of thunderstorms activity over the Antarctic Peninsula based on GPS sensing. / Suparta, Wayan.

In: IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, Vol. 169, No. 1, 012001, 01.08.2018.

Research output: Contribution to journalConference article

@article{7eb22639ad3d46af9965fd9b289f2179,
title = "Monitoring of thunderstorms activity over the Antarctic Peninsula based on GPS sensing",
abstract = "This paper aimed to present the monitoring of thunderstorms using the Global Positioning System (GPS). With employing the Precipitable Water Vapor (PWV) sensed by ground-based GPS, the thunderstorm activity can be detected by delaying the GPS signals in the atmosphere. The research has been conducted at Carlini Base of Antarctic Peninsula (62.23°S and 58.63°W) during the 2017 summer campaign. To validate the measurement results, the meteorology sensors and the lightning sensor were also installed collocated with GPS receiver. Meteorology sensors measured the surface pressure, temperature, and relative humidity and simultaneously with GPS signals are used to obtain PWV. While lightning sensor detected the time, intracloud (IC), cloud-to-ground (CG) and the distance of the lightning. To detect the response of thunderstorm activities on GPS PWV, an hourly analysis is performed. Results showed that most of the thunderstorm create lighting where 96{\%} of the lightning activity detected consists of IC type. The remaining 4{\%} of the lightning is the CG type. The GPS PWV is delayed one hour prior to IC lightning occurrence and delayed half an hour to one hour for CG. The response of GPS PWV to CG and IG types show respective proportional and inversely trends indicating that thunderstorm correlates with moisture content.",
author = "Wayan Suparta",
year = "2018",
month = "8",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1088/1755-1315/169/1/012001",
language = "English",
volume = "169",
journal = "IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science",
issn = "1755-1307",
publisher = "IOP Publishing Ltd.",
number = "1",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Monitoring of thunderstorms activity over the Antarctic Peninsula based on GPS sensing

AU - Suparta, Wayan

PY - 2018/8/1

Y1 - 2018/8/1

N2 - This paper aimed to present the monitoring of thunderstorms using the Global Positioning System (GPS). With employing the Precipitable Water Vapor (PWV) sensed by ground-based GPS, the thunderstorm activity can be detected by delaying the GPS signals in the atmosphere. The research has been conducted at Carlini Base of Antarctic Peninsula (62.23°S and 58.63°W) during the 2017 summer campaign. To validate the measurement results, the meteorology sensors and the lightning sensor were also installed collocated with GPS receiver. Meteorology sensors measured the surface pressure, temperature, and relative humidity and simultaneously with GPS signals are used to obtain PWV. While lightning sensor detected the time, intracloud (IC), cloud-to-ground (CG) and the distance of the lightning. To detect the response of thunderstorm activities on GPS PWV, an hourly analysis is performed. Results showed that most of the thunderstorm create lighting where 96% of the lightning activity detected consists of IC type. The remaining 4% of the lightning is the CG type. The GPS PWV is delayed one hour prior to IC lightning occurrence and delayed half an hour to one hour for CG. The response of GPS PWV to CG and IG types show respective proportional and inversely trends indicating that thunderstorm correlates with moisture content.

AB - This paper aimed to present the monitoring of thunderstorms using the Global Positioning System (GPS). With employing the Precipitable Water Vapor (PWV) sensed by ground-based GPS, the thunderstorm activity can be detected by delaying the GPS signals in the atmosphere. The research has been conducted at Carlini Base of Antarctic Peninsula (62.23°S and 58.63°W) during the 2017 summer campaign. To validate the measurement results, the meteorology sensors and the lightning sensor were also installed collocated with GPS receiver. Meteorology sensors measured the surface pressure, temperature, and relative humidity and simultaneously with GPS signals are used to obtain PWV. While lightning sensor detected the time, intracloud (IC), cloud-to-ground (CG) and the distance of the lightning. To detect the response of thunderstorm activities on GPS PWV, an hourly analysis is performed. Results showed that most of the thunderstorm create lighting where 96% of the lightning activity detected consists of IC type. The remaining 4% of the lightning is the CG type. The GPS PWV is delayed one hour prior to IC lightning occurrence and delayed half an hour to one hour for CG. The response of GPS PWV to CG and IG types show respective proportional and inversely trends indicating that thunderstorm correlates with moisture content.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85051932937&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=85051932937&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1088/1755-1315/169/1/012001

DO - 10.1088/1755-1315/169/1/012001

M3 - Conference article

AN - SCOPUS:85051932937

VL - 169

JO - IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science

JF - IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science

SN - 1755-1307

IS - 1

M1 - 012001

ER -