Mean glandular dose and figure of merit of 2 dimensional and 3 dimensional imaging in digital breast tomosynthesis

Kamal Binti Izdihar, Kanaga Kumari Chelliah, M. Nawal, K. Vijaylakshimi, T. Sulaiman

Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingConference contribution

2 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Studies of Mean Glandular dose (MGD) and Image quality for 3D imaging are still relatively new compared to 2D imaging. Therefore the objective of this research is to compare mean glandular dose (MGD) and figure of merit (FOM) obtained using ionization chamber between 2D and 3D breast imaging. This experimental study was conducted at the National Cancer Society using the Hologic Selenia Digital Breast Tomosynthesis. Three types of CIRS phantom with 50/50, 30/70 and 20/80 glandularity were exposed with an Auto - Filter mode in the Cranio-caudal projection. The ionization chamber (IC) was used to measure the Entrance Surface Air Kerma (ESAK) and Half Value Layer (HVL). The MGD value was calculated using Euref protocol and finally the image quality was assessed qualitatively by two radiologists and quantitatively by figure of merit (FOM). The results of the experiment showed that the MGD value obtained from the experiment increased with thickness and the MGD value for 3D projection is consistently higher than 2D projection. The spectrum W/Rh has a higher FOM value compared to spectrum W/Al for all phantoms. For 3D imaging the FOM value decreased when the depth of the object increased and the object is clearer in the center compared with other slices. In summary, it is estimated the MGD value for combined 2D and 3D increased by 1.5 - 2.5 times than single 2D mammography. The combined 2D and 3D imaging MGD value for 50% was 2.27 mGy, for 30% was 3.07 mGy and for 20% was 4.09mGy. *The combined 2D and 3D imaging for 50% glandularity is less than FDA limit for single projection and resulted in superior image quality compared to 2D imaging alone.

Original languageEnglish
Title of host publicationIFMBE Proceedings
PublisherSpringer Verlag
Pages20-23
Number of pages4
Volume56
ISBN (Print)9789811002656
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2016
EventInternational Conference for Innovation in Biomedical Engineering and Life Sciences, ICIBEL 2015 - Putrajaya, Malaysia
Duration: 6 Dec 20158 Dec 2015

Other

OtherInternational Conference for Innovation in Biomedical Engineering and Life Sciences, ICIBEL 2015
CountryMalaysia
CityPutrajaya
Period6/12/158/12/15

Fingerprint

Imaging techniques
Image quality
Ionization chambers
Mammography
Selenium
Experiments
Air

Keywords

  • Digital breast tomosynthesis (DBT)
  • Figure of Merit (FOM)
  • Image quality
  • Mean Glandular Dose (MGD)

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Biomedical Engineering
  • Bioengineering

Cite this

Izdihar, K. B., Chelliah, K. K., Nawal, M., Vijaylakshimi, K., & Sulaiman, T. (2016). Mean glandular dose and figure of merit of 2 dimensional and 3 dimensional imaging in digital breast tomosynthesis. In IFMBE Proceedings (Vol. 56, pp. 20-23). Springer Verlag. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-0266-3_5

Mean glandular dose and figure of merit of 2 dimensional and 3 dimensional imaging in digital breast tomosynthesis. / Izdihar, Kamal Binti; Chelliah, Kanaga Kumari; Nawal, M.; Vijaylakshimi, K.; Sulaiman, T.

IFMBE Proceedings. Vol. 56 Springer Verlag, 2016. p. 20-23.

Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingConference contribution

Izdihar, KB, Chelliah, KK, Nawal, M, Vijaylakshimi, K & Sulaiman, T 2016, Mean glandular dose and figure of merit of 2 dimensional and 3 dimensional imaging in digital breast tomosynthesis. in IFMBE Proceedings. vol. 56, Springer Verlag, pp. 20-23, International Conference for Innovation in Biomedical Engineering and Life Sciences, ICIBEL 2015, Putrajaya, Malaysia, 6/12/15. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-0266-3_5
Izdihar KB, Chelliah KK, Nawal M, Vijaylakshimi K, Sulaiman T. Mean glandular dose and figure of merit of 2 dimensional and 3 dimensional imaging in digital breast tomosynthesis. In IFMBE Proceedings. Vol. 56. Springer Verlag. 2016. p. 20-23 https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-0266-3_5
Izdihar, Kamal Binti ; Chelliah, Kanaga Kumari ; Nawal, M. ; Vijaylakshimi, K. ; Sulaiman, T. / Mean glandular dose and figure of merit of 2 dimensional and 3 dimensional imaging in digital breast tomosynthesis. IFMBE Proceedings. Vol. 56 Springer Verlag, 2016. pp. 20-23
@inproceedings{8e76067a215348acb0a91a902b8ddd17,
title = "Mean glandular dose and figure of merit of 2 dimensional and 3 dimensional imaging in digital breast tomosynthesis",
abstract = "Studies of Mean Glandular dose (MGD) and Image quality for 3D imaging are still relatively new compared to 2D imaging. Therefore the objective of this research is to compare mean glandular dose (MGD) and figure of merit (FOM) obtained using ionization chamber between 2D and 3D breast imaging. This experimental study was conducted at the National Cancer Society using the Hologic Selenia Digital Breast Tomosynthesis. Three types of CIRS phantom with 50/50, 30/70 and 20/80 glandularity were exposed with an Auto - Filter mode in the Cranio-caudal projection. The ionization chamber (IC) was used to measure the Entrance Surface Air Kerma (ESAK) and Half Value Layer (HVL). The MGD value was calculated using Euref protocol and finally the image quality was assessed qualitatively by two radiologists and quantitatively by figure of merit (FOM). The results of the experiment showed that the MGD value obtained from the experiment increased with thickness and the MGD value for 3D projection is consistently higher than 2D projection. The spectrum W/Rh has a higher FOM value compared to spectrum W/Al for all phantoms. For 3D imaging the FOM value decreased when the depth of the object increased and the object is clearer in the center compared with other slices. In summary, it is estimated the MGD value for combined 2D and 3D increased by 1.5 - 2.5 times than single 2D mammography. The combined 2D and 3D imaging MGD value for 50{\%} was 2.27 mGy, for 30{\%} was 3.07 mGy and for 20{\%} was 4.09mGy. *The combined 2D and 3D imaging for 50{\%} glandularity is less than FDA limit for single projection and resulted in superior image quality compared to 2D imaging alone.",
keywords = "Digital breast tomosynthesis (DBT), Figure of Merit (FOM), Image quality, Mean Glandular Dose (MGD)",
author = "Izdihar, {Kamal Binti} and Chelliah, {Kanaga Kumari} and M. Nawal and K. Vijaylakshimi and T. Sulaiman",
year = "2016",
doi = "10.1007/978-981-10-0266-3_5",
language = "English",
isbn = "9789811002656",
volume = "56",
pages = "20--23",
booktitle = "IFMBE Proceedings",
publisher = "Springer Verlag",

}

TY - GEN

T1 - Mean glandular dose and figure of merit of 2 dimensional and 3 dimensional imaging in digital breast tomosynthesis

AU - Izdihar, Kamal Binti

AU - Chelliah, Kanaga Kumari

AU - Nawal, M.

AU - Vijaylakshimi, K.

AU - Sulaiman, T.

PY - 2016

Y1 - 2016

N2 - Studies of Mean Glandular dose (MGD) and Image quality for 3D imaging are still relatively new compared to 2D imaging. Therefore the objective of this research is to compare mean glandular dose (MGD) and figure of merit (FOM) obtained using ionization chamber between 2D and 3D breast imaging. This experimental study was conducted at the National Cancer Society using the Hologic Selenia Digital Breast Tomosynthesis. Three types of CIRS phantom with 50/50, 30/70 and 20/80 glandularity were exposed with an Auto - Filter mode in the Cranio-caudal projection. The ionization chamber (IC) was used to measure the Entrance Surface Air Kerma (ESAK) and Half Value Layer (HVL). The MGD value was calculated using Euref protocol and finally the image quality was assessed qualitatively by two radiologists and quantitatively by figure of merit (FOM). The results of the experiment showed that the MGD value obtained from the experiment increased with thickness and the MGD value for 3D projection is consistently higher than 2D projection. The spectrum W/Rh has a higher FOM value compared to spectrum W/Al for all phantoms. For 3D imaging the FOM value decreased when the depth of the object increased and the object is clearer in the center compared with other slices. In summary, it is estimated the MGD value for combined 2D and 3D increased by 1.5 - 2.5 times than single 2D mammography. The combined 2D and 3D imaging MGD value for 50% was 2.27 mGy, for 30% was 3.07 mGy and for 20% was 4.09mGy. *The combined 2D and 3D imaging for 50% glandularity is less than FDA limit for single projection and resulted in superior image quality compared to 2D imaging alone.

AB - Studies of Mean Glandular dose (MGD) and Image quality for 3D imaging are still relatively new compared to 2D imaging. Therefore the objective of this research is to compare mean glandular dose (MGD) and figure of merit (FOM) obtained using ionization chamber between 2D and 3D breast imaging. This experimental study was conducted at the National Cancer Society using the Hologic Selenia Digital Breast Tomosynthesis. Three types of CIRS phantom with 50/50, 30/70 and 20/80 glandularity were exposed with an Auto - Filter mode in the Cranio-caudal projection. The ionization chamber (IC) was used to measure the Entrance Surface Air Kerma (ESAK) and Half Value Layer (HVL). The MGD value was calculated using Euref protocol and finally the image quality was assessed qualitatively by two radiologists and quantitatively by figure of merit (FOM). The results of the experiment showed that the MGD value obtained from the experiment increased with thickness and the MGD value for 3D projection is consistently higher than 2D projection. The spectrum W/Rh has a higher FOM value compared to spectrum W/Al for all phantoms. For 3D imaging the FOM value decreased when the depth of the object increased and the object is clearer in the center compared with other slices. In summary, it is estimated the MGD value for combined 2D and 3D increased by 1.5 - 2.5 times than single 2D mammography. The combined 2D and 3D imaging MGD value for 50% was 2.27 mGy, for 30% was 3.07 mGy and for 20% was 4.09mGy. *The combined 2D and 3D imaging for 50% glandularity is less than FDA limit for single projection and resulted in superior image quality compared to 2D imaging alone.

KW - Digital breast tomosynthesis (DBT)

KW - Figure of Merit (FOM)

KW - Image quality

KW - Mean Glandular Dose (MGD)

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84952801851&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84952801851&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1007/978-981-10-0266-3_5

DO - 10.1007/978-981-10-0266-3_5

M3 - Conference contribution

SN - 9789811002656

VL - 56

SP - 20

EP - 23

BT - IFMBE Proceedings

PB - Springer Verlag

ER -