Low vision rehabilitation and ocular problems among industrial workers in a developing country

Rokiah Omar, Feizal Knight Victor, Aziz Mohammed Azman Mohammed

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

1 Citation (Scopus)

Abstract

Aim: Work-related ocular injuries and illnesses were among the major causes of job absenteeism. This study was conducted to determine if low vision rehabilitation was provided following work-related ocular problems among industrial workers in a developing country. This was a retrospective analysis of case records. Method: Randomly selected records of all employees from the Social Security Organization (SOCSO) Medical Board for 2004 who suffered from ocular injuries and illnesses were selected. Rates of ocular injuries and illnesses according to age, gender, races, types of injuries, types of industries, visual rehabilitation and types of medical interventions were tabulated and analysed. Results: A total of 26 cases of ocular injuries and illnesses were identified where 46.2% suffered from ocular injuries. The remaining 53.8% had ocular and/or systemic diseases. The 40–49-yearold age group suffered the greatest number of injuries (26.92%). Ocular perforating injuries (66.67%) and ocular contusions (33.33%) were the most common types of ocular injury among industrial workers in Kuala Lumpur. Most injuries occurred among workers in the service industry (50%). Almost 60% of these injured workers did not receive any low vision rehabilitation after medical intervention while 25% were given contact lenses or spectacles as rehabilitation and remaining had surgery. Conclusion: The low vision rehabilitation is still unexplored in the management of ocular injuries and illnesses among industrial workers. Introducing low vision rehabilitation can benefit both workers and employers as it provides care beyond spectacles or contact lens prescriptions.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)27-33
Number of pages7
JournalMalaysian Family Physician
Volume9
Issue number3
Publication statusPublished - 2014

Fingerprint

Eye Injuries
Low Vision
Developing Countries
Rehabilitation
Contact Lenses
Industry
Wounds and Injuries
Absenteeism
Social Security
Contusions
Prescriptions
Age Groups
Organizations

Keywords

  • Industrial workers
  • Low vision rehabilitation
  • Ocular illness
  • Ocular injury
  • Visual impairment

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Family Practice
  • Community and Home Care

Cite this

Low vision rehabilitation and ocular problems among industrial workers in a developing country. / Omar, Rokiah; Victor, Feizal Knight; Azman Mohammed, Aziz Mohammed.

In: Malaysian Family Physician, Vol. 9, No. 3, 2014, p. 27-33.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Omar, Rokiah ; Victor, Feizal Knight ; Azman Mohammed, Aziz Mohammed. / Low vision rehabilitation and ocular problems among industrial workers in a developing country. In: Malaysian Family Physician. 2014 ; Vol. 9, No. 3. pp. 27-33.
@article{c85ad503611d49809818af4348151e4d,
title = "Low vision rehabilitation and ocular problems among industrial workers in a developing country",
abstract = "Aim: Work-related ocular injuries and illnesses were among the major causes of job absenteeism. This study was conducted to determine if low vision rehabilitation was provided following work-related ocular problems among industrial workers in a developing country. This was a retrospective analysis of case records. Method: Randomly selected records of all employees from the Social Security Organization (SOCSO) Medical Board for 2004 who suffered from ocular injuries and illnesses were selected. Rates of ocular injuries and illnesses according to age, gender, races, types of injuries, types of industries, visual rehabilitation and types of medical interventions were tabulated and analysed. Results: A total of 26 cases of ocular injuries and illnesses were identified where 46.2{\%} suffered from ocular injuries. The remaining 53.8{\%} had ocular and/or systemic diseases. The 40–49-yearold age group suffered the greatest number of injuries (26.92{\%}). Ocular perforating injuries (66.67{\%}) and ocular contusions (33.33{\%}) were the most common types of ocular injury among industrial workers in Kuala Lumpur. Most injuries occurred among workers in the service industry (50{\%}). Almost 60{\%} of these injured workers did not receive any low vision rehabilitation after medical intervention while 25{\%} were given contact lenses or spectacles as rehabilitation and remaining had surgery. Conclusion: The low vision rehabilitation is still unexplored in the management of ocular injuries and illnesses among industrial workers. Introducing low vision rehabilitation can benefit both workers and employers as it provides care beyond spectacles or contact lens prescriptions.",
keywords = "Industrial workers, Low vision rehabilitation, Ocular illness, Ocular injury, Visual impairment",
author = "Rokiah Omar and Victor, {Feizal Knight} and {Azman Mohammed}, {Aziz Mohammed}",
year = "2014",
language = "English",
volume = "9",
pages = "27--33",
journal = "Malaysian Family Physician",
issn = "1985-207X",
publisher = "Academy of Family Physicians of Malaysia",
number = "3",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Low vision rehabilitation and ocular problems among industrial workers in a developing country

AU - Omar, Rokiah

AU - Victor, Feizal Knight

AU - Azman Mohammed, Aziz Mohammed

PY - 2014

Y1 - 2014

N2 - Aim: Work-related ocular injuries and illnesses were among the major causes of job absenteeism. This study was conducted to determine if low vision rehabilitation was provided following work-related ocular problems among industrial workers in a developing country. This was a retrospective analysis of case records. Method: Randomly selected records of all employees from the Social Security Organization (SOCSO) Medical Board for 2004 who suffered from ocular injuries and illnesses were selected. Rates of ocular injuries and illnesses according to age, gender, races, types of injuries, types of industries, visual rehabilitation and types of medical interventions were tabulated and analysed. Results: A total of 26 cases of ocular injuries and illnesses were identified where 46.2% suffered from ocular injuries. The remaining 53.8% had ocular and/or systemic diseases. The 40–49-yearold age group suffered the greatest number of injuries (26.92%). Ocular perforating injuries (66.67%) and ocular contusions (33.33%) were the most common types of ocular injury among industrial workers in Kuala Lumpur. Most injuries occurred among workers in the service industry (50%). Almost 60% of these injured workers did not receive any low vision rehabilitation after medical intervention while 25% were given contact lenses or spectacles as rehabilitation and remaining had surgery. Conclusion: The low vision rehabilitation is still unexplored in the management of ocular injuries and illnesses among industrial workers. Introducing low vision rehabilitation can benefit both workers and employers as it provides care beyond spectacles or contact lens prescriptions.

AB - Aim: Work-related ocular injuries and illnesses were among the major causes of job absenteeism. This study was conducted to determine if low vision rehabilitation was provided following work-related ocular problems among industrial workers in a developing country. This was a retrospective analysis of case records. Method: Randomly selected records of all employees from the Social Security Organization (SOCSO) Medical Board for 2004 who suffered from ocular injuries and illnesses were selected. Rates of ocular injuries and illnesses according to age, gender, races, types of injuries, types of industries, visual rehabilitation and types of medical interventions were tabulated and analysed. Results: A total of 26 cases of ocular injuries and illnesses were identified where 46.2% suffered from ocular injuries. The remaining 53.8% had ocular and/or systemic diseases. The 40–49-yearold age group suffered the greatest number of injuries (26.92%). Ocular perforating injuries (66.67%) and ocular contusions (33.33%) were the most common types of ocular injury among industrial workers in Kuala Lumpur. Most injuries occurred among workers in the service industry (50%). Almost 60% of these injured workers did not receive any low vision rehabilitation after medical intervention while 25% were given contact lenses or spectacles as rehabilitation and remaining had surgery. Conclusion: The low vision rehabilitation is still unexplored in the management of ocular injuries and illnesses among industrial workers. Introducing low vision rehabilitation can benefit both workers and employers as it provides care beyond spectacles or contact lens prescriptions.

KW - Industrial workers

KW - Low vision rehabilitation

KW - Ocular illness

KW - Ocular injury

KW - Visual impairment

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84924423474&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84924423474&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

VL - 9

SP - 27

EP - 33

JO - Malaysian Family Physician

JF - Malaysian Family Physician

SN - 1985-207X

IS - 3

ER -