Isolation of lactic acid bacteria with potential protective culture characteristics from fruits

Nurul Huda Hashim, Norrakiah Abdullah Sani

Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingConference contribution

1 Citation (Scopus)

Abstract

Lactic acid bacteria are also known as beneficial microorganisms abundantly found in fermented food products. In this study, lactic acid bacteria were isolated from fresh cut fruits obtained from local markets. Throughout the isolation process from 11 samples of fruits, 225 presumptive lactic acid bacteria were isolated on MRS agar medium. After catalase and oxidase tests, 149 resulted to fit the characteristics of lactic acid bacteria. Further identification using Gram staining was conducted to identify the Gram positive bacteria. After this confirmation, the fermentation characteristics of these isolates were identified. It was found that 87 (58.4%) isolates were heterofermentative, while the rest of 62 (41.6%) are homofermentative lactic acid bacteria. Later, all these isolates were investigated for the ability to inhibit growth of Staphylococcus aureus using agar spot assay method. Seven (4.7%) isolates showed strong antagonistic capacity, while 127 (85.2%) and 8 (5.4%) isolates have medium and weak antagonistic capacity, respectively. The other 7 (4.7%) isolates indicated to have no antagonistic effect on S. aureus. Results support the potential of LAB isolated in this study which showed strong antagonistic activity against S. aureus may be manipulated to become protective cultures in food products. While the homofermentative or heterofermentative LAB can be utilized in fermentation of food and non-food products depending on the by-products required during the fermentation.

Original languageEnglish
Title of host publication2015 UKM FST Postgraduate Colloquium: Proceedings of the Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Faculty of Science and Technology 2015 Postgraduate Colloquium
PublisherAmerican Institute of Physics Inc.
Volume1678
ISBN (Electronic)9780735413252
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 25 Sep 2015
Event2015 Postgraduate Colloquium of the Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Faculty of Science and Technology, UKM FST 2015 - Selangor, Malaysia
Duration: 15 Apr 201516 Apr 2015

Other

Other2015 Postgraduate Colloquium of the Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Faculty of Science and Technology, UKM FST 2015
CountryMalaysia
CitySelangor
Period15/4/1516/4/15

Fingerprint

lactic acid
fruits
bacteria
isolation
fermentation
food
products
catalase
staphylococcus
oxidase
staining
microorganisms

Keywords

  • homofermentative-heterofermentative LAB
  • lactic acid bacteria
  • protective cultures

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Physics and Astronomy(all)

Cite this

Hashim, N. H., & Abdullah Sani, N. (2015). Isolation of lactic acid bacteria with potential protective culture characteristics from fruits. In 2015 UKM FST Postgraduate Colloquium: Proceedings of the Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Faculty of Science and Technology 2015 Postgraduate Colloquium (Vol. 1678). [050042] American Institute of Physics Inc.. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4931321

Isolation of lactic acid bacteria with potential protective culture characteristics from fruits. / Hashim, Nurul Huda; Abdullah Sani, Norrakiah.

2015 UKM FST Postgraduate Colloquium: Proceedings of the Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Faculty of Science and Technology 2015 Postgraduate Colloquium. Vol. 1678 American Institute of Physics Inc., 2015. 050042.

Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingConference contribution

Hashim, NH & Abdullah Sani, N 2015, Isolation of lactic acid bacteria with potential protective culture characteristics from fruits. in 2015 UKM FST Postgraduate Colloquium: Proceedings of the Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Faculty of Science and Technology 2015 Postgraduate Colloquium. vol. 1678, 050042, American Institute of Physics Inc., 2015 Postgraduate Colloquium of the Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Faculty of Science and Technology, UKM FST 2015, Selangor, Malaysia, 15/4/15. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4931321
Hashim NH, Abdullah Sani N. Isolation of lactic acid bacteria with potential protective culture characteristics from fruits. In 2015 UKM FST Postgraduate Colloquium: Proceedings of the Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Faculty of Science and Technology 2015 Postgraduate Colloquium. Vol. 1678. American Institute of Physics Inc. 2015. 050042 https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4931321
Hashim, Nurul Huda ; Abdullah Sani, Norrakiah. / Isolation of lactic acid bacteria with potential protective culture characteristics from fruits. 2015 UKM FST Postgraduate Colloquium: Proceedings of the Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Faculty of Science and Technology 2015 Postgraduate Colloquium. Vol. 1678 American Institute of Physics Inc., 2015.
@inproceedings{c981656d6e8649f386491bb46711a227,
title = "Isolation of lactic acid bacteria with potential protective culture characteristics from fruits",
abstract = "Lactic acid bacteria are also known as beneficial microorganisms abundantly found in fermented food products. In this study, lactic acid bacteria were isolated from fresh cut fruits obtained from local markets. Throughout the isolation process from 11 samples of fruits, 225 presumptive lactic acid bacteria were isolated on MRS agar medium. After catalase and oxidase tests, 149 resulted to fit the characteristics of lactic acid bacteria. Further identification using Gram staining was conducted to identify the Gram positive bacteria. After this confirmation, the fermentation characteristics of these isolates were identified. It was found that 87 (58.4{\%}) isolates were heterofermentative, while the rest of 62 (41.6{\%}) are homofermentative lactic acid bacteria. Later, all these isolates were investigated for the ability to inhibit growth of Staphylococcus aureus using agar spot assay method. Seven (4.7{\%}) isolates showed strong antagonistic capacity, while 127 (85.2{\%}) and 8 (5.4{\%}) isolates have medium and weak antagonistic capacity, respectively. The other 7 (4.7{\%}) isolates indicated to have no antagonistic effect on S. aureus. Results support the potential of LAB isolated in this study which showed strong antagonistic activity against S. aureus may be manipulated to become protective cultures in food products. While the homofermentative or heterofermentative LAB can be utilized in fermentation of food and non-food products depending on the by-products required during the fermentation.",
keywords = "homofermentative-heterofermentative LAB, lactic acid bacteria, protective cultures",
author = "Hashim, {Nurul Huda} and {Abdullah Sani}, Norrakiah",
year = "2015",
month = "9",
day = "25",
doi = "10.1063/1.4931321",
language = "English",
volume = "1678",
booktitle = "2015 UKM FST Postgraduate Colloquium: Proceedings of the Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Faculty of Science and Technology 2015 Postgraduate Colloquium",
publisher = "American Institute of Physics Inc.",

}

TY - GEN

T1 - Isolation of lactic acid bacteria with potential protective culture characteristics from fruits

AU - Hashim, Nurul Huda

AU - Abdullah Sani, Norrakiah

PY - 2015/9/25

Y1 - 2015/9/25

N2 - Lactic acid bacteria are also known as beneficial microorganisms abundantly found in fermented food products. In this study, lactic acid bacteria were isolated from fresh cut fruits obtained from local markets. Throughout the isolation process from 11 samples of fruits, 225 presumptive lactic acid bacteria were isolated on MRS agar medium. After catalase and oxidase tests, 149 resulted to fit the characteristics of lactic acid bacteria. Further identification using Gram staining was conducted to identify the Gram positive bacteria. After this confirmation, the fermentation characteristics of these isolates were identified. It was found that 87 (58.4%) isolates were heterofermentative, while the rest of 62 (41.6%) are homofermentative lactic acid bacteria. Later, all these isolates were investigated for the ability to inhibit growth of Staphylococcus aureus using agar spot assay method. Seven (4.7%) isolates showed strong antagonistic capacity, while 127 (85.2%) and 8 (5.4%) isolates have medium and weak antagonistic capacity, respectively. The other 7 (4.7%) isolates indicated to have no antagonistic effect on S. aureus. Results support the potential of LAB isolated in this study which showed strong antagonistic activity against S. aureus may be manipulated to become protective cultures in food products. While the homofermentative or heterofermentative LAB can be utilized in fermentation of food and non-food products depending on the by-products required during the fermentation.

AB - Lactic acid bacteria are also known as beneficial microorganisms abundantly found in fermented food products. In this study, lactic acid bacteria were isolated from fresh cut fruits obtained from local markets. Throughout the isolation process from 11 samples of fruits, 225 presumptive lactic acid bacteria were isolated on MRS agar medium. After catalase and oxidase tests, 149 resulted to fit the characteristics of lactic acid bacteria. Further identification using Gram staining was conducted to identify the Gram positive bacteria. After this confirmation, the fermentation characteristics of these isolates were identified. It was found that 87 (58.4%) isolates were heterofermentative, while the rest of 62 (41.6%) are homofermentative lactic acid bacteria. Later, all these isolates were investigated for the ability to inhibit growth of Staphylococcus aureus using agar spot assay method. Seven (4.7%) isolates showed strong antagonistic capacity, while 127 (85.2%) and 8 (5.4%) isolates have medium and weak antagonistic capacity, respectively. The other 7 (4.7%) isolates indicated to have no antagonistic effect on S. aureus. Results support the potential of LAB isolated in this study which showed strong antagonistic activity against S. aureus may be manipulated to become protective cultures in food products. While the homofermentative or heterofermentative LAB can be utilized in fermentation of food and non-food products depending on the by-products required during the fermentation.

KW - homofermentative-heterofermentative LAB

KW - lactic acid bacteria

KW - protective cultures

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85006224560&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=85006224560&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1063/1.4931321

DO - 10.1063/1.4931321

M3 - Conference contribution

AN - SCOPUS:85006224560

VL - 1678

BT - 2015 UKM FST Postgraduate Colloquium: Proceedings of the Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Faculty of Science and Technology 2015 Postgraduate Colloquium

PB - American Institute of Physics Inc.

ER -