Penentuan Tahap Kelangkaan Spesies Tumbuhan Hutan Tropika sebagai Langkah Pemuliharaan di Rizab Biosfera UNESCO Malaysia

Translated title of the contribution: Determination of plant species rarity status in a tropical forest as a conservation approach at UNESCO biosphere reserve in Malaysia

M. N. Nurhanim, Wan Juliana Wan Ahmad

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Conservation of tropical plant species is usually limited to the factor of species distribution at the Southeast Asia regional level without taking into consideration of the factors of geographical range, species distribution to specific habitat range limitation and population size at landscape level. This study compared the rarity of plant species at three management zones of Tasik Chini Biosphere Reserve (TCBR), Pahang. Species rarity levels were classified into eight cells (A-H) based on the Rabinowitz Scheme. Species endemism was determined based on Turner. The study recorded 771 plant species at TCBR. A total of 600 species (77.8%) were recorded as rare species (Cells B-H) while the rest (22.2%) were commonly found species (Cell A). The rarest species (Cell H, 49.29%) were the species with limited geography, specific habitat and small population size. A total of 20 plant species were documented as endemic species. Two out of the 20 endemic species were common species based on the Rabinowitz Scheme. On the other hand, four endemic species were rare species with a wide geographical range but with limited habitat and population size (Cell D) and the remaining 14 endemic species were the rarest species (Cell H). Approximately 76% of species were not endemic but in the category of rare species. The study indicated that species conservation efforts at landscape level such as the TCBR should consider the species rarity at local level on top of the species distribution factor at the regional level.

Original languageMalay
Pages (from-to)1657-1664
Number of pages8
JournalSains Malaysiana
Volume47
Issue number8
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 1 Aug 2018

Fingerprint

Malaysia
tropical forests
indigenous species
population size
biogeography
cells
habitats
geography
South East Asia
B-lymphocytes
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
biosphere
rare species

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • General

Cite this

Penentuan Tahap Kelangkaan Spesies Tumbuhan Hutan Tropika sebagai Langkah Pemuliharaan di Rizab Biosfera UNESCO Malaysia. / Nurhanim, M. N.; Wan Ahmad, Wan Juliana.

In: Sains Malaysiana, Vol. 47, No. 8, 01.08.2018, p. 1657-1664.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{6e9aad48eac5481686475fa314cb7ca0,
title = "Penentuan Tahap Kelangkaan Spesies Tumbuhan Hutan Tropika sebagai Langkah Pemuliharaan di Rizab Biosfera UNESCO Malaysia",
abstract = "Conservation of tropical plant species is usually limited to the factor of species distribution at the Southeast Asia regional level without taking into consideration of the factors of geographical range, species distribution to specific habitat range limitation and population size at landscape level. This study compared the rarity of plant species at three management zones of Tasik Chini Biosphere Reserve (TCBR), Pahang. Species rarity levels were classified into eight cells (A-H) based on the Rabinowitz Scheme. Species endemism was determined based on Turner. The study recorded 771 plant species at TCBR. A total of 600 species (77.8{\%}) were recorded as rare species (Cells B-H) while the rest (22.2{\%}) were commonly found species (Cell A). The rarest species (Cell H, 49.29{\%}) were the species with limited geography, specific habitat and small population size. A total of 20 plant species were documented as endemic species. Two out of the 20 endemic species were common species based on the Rabinowitz Scheme. On the other hand, four endemic species were rare species with a wide geographical range but with limited habitat and population size (Cell D) and the remaining 14 endemic species were the rarest species (Cell H). Approximately 76{\%} of species were not endemic but in the category of rare species. The study indicated that species conservation efforts at landscape level such as the TCBR should consider the species rarity at local level on top of the species distribution factor at the regional level.",
keywords = "Biosphere reserve, Chini Lake, Endemic species, Rabinowitz scheme, Rare species",
author = "Nurhanim, {M. N.} and {Wan Ahmad}, {Wan Juliana}",
year = "2018",
month = "8",
day = "1",
doi = "10.17576/jsm-2018-4708-04",
language = "Malay",
volume = "47",
pages = "1657--1664",
journal = "Sains Malaysiana",
issn = "0126-6039",
publisher = "Penerbit Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia",
number = "8",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Penentuan Tahap Kelangkaan Spesies Tumbuhan Hutan Tropika sebagai Langkah Pemuliharaan di Rizab Biosfera UNESCO Malaysia

AU - Nurhanim, M. N.

AU - Wan Ahmad, Wan Juliana

PY - 2018/8/1

Y1 - 2018/8/1

N2 - Conservation of tropical plant species is usually limited to the factor of species distribution at the Southeast Asia regional level without taking into consideration of the factors of geographical range, species distribution to specific habitat range limitation and population size at landscape level. This study compared the rarity of plant species at three management zones of Tasik Chini Biosphere Reserve (TCBR), Pahang. Species rarity levels were classified into eight cells (A-H) based on the Rabinowitz Scheme. Species endemism was determined based on Turner. The study recorded 771 plant species at TCBR. A total of 600 species (77.8%) were recorded as rare species (Cells B-H) while the rest (22.2%) were commonly found species (Cell A). The rarest species (Cell H, 49.29%) were the species with limited geography, specific habitat and small population size. A total of 20 plant species were documented as endemic species. Two out of the 20 endemic species were common species based on the Rabinowitz Scheme. On the other hand, four endemic species were rare species with a wide geographical range but with limited habitat and population size (Cell D) and the remaining 14 endemic species were the rarest species (Cell H). Approximately 76% of species were not endemic but in the category of rare species. The study indicated that species conservation efforts at landscape level such as the TCBR should consider the species rarity at local level on top of the species distribution factor at the regional level.

AB - Conservation of tropical plant species is usually limited to the factor of species distribution at the Southeast Asia regional level without taking into consideration of the factors of geographical range, species distribution to specific habitat range limitation and population size at landscape level. This study compared the rarity of plant species at three management zones of Tasik Chini Biosphere Reserve (TCBR), Pahang. Species rarity levels were classified into eight cells (A-H) based on the Rabinowitz Scheme. Species endemism was determined based on Turner. The study recorded 771 plant species at TCBR. A total of 600 species (77.8%) were recorded as rare species (Cells B-H) while the rest (22.2%) were commonly found species (Cell A). The rarest species (Cell H, 49.29%) were the species with limited geography, specific habitat and small population size. A total of 20 plant species were documented as endemic species. Two out of the 20 endemic species were common species based on the Rabinowitz Scheme. On the other hand, four endemic species were rare species with a wide geographical range but with limited habitat and population size (Cell D) and the remaining 14 endemic species were the rarest species (Cell H). Approximately 76% of species were not endemic but in the category of rare species. The study indicated that species conservation efforts at landscape level such as the TCBR should consider the species rarity at local level on top of the species distribution factor at the regional level.

KW - Biosphere reserve

KW - Chini Lake

KW - Endemic species

KW - Rabinowitz scheme

KW - Rare species

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85053614858&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=85053614858&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.17576/jsm-2018-4708-04

DO - 10.17576/jsm-2018-4708-04

M3 - Article

VL - 47

SP - 1657

EP - 1664

JO - Sains Malaysiana

JF - Sains Malaysiana

SN - 0126-6039

IS - 8

ER -