Autoimmune markers in young Malaysian patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.

W. M. Nazaimoon, Nor Azmi Kamaruddin, Rahmah Rasat, I. S. Ismail, M. Singaraveloo, W. B. Mohamad, R. Letchuman, I. H. Sheriff, I. Faridah, B. A. Khalid

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

6 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

This study determined the prevalence and significance of autoantibodies to GAD65 (GAD Ab), insulin (IAA), tyrosine-like phosphatase (IA2) and islet-cell (ICA) in a group of 213 young Malaysian Type 1 diabetics, diagnosed before the age of 40 years. Venous blood was taken at fasting, and at 6 minutes post-glucagon (1 mg i.v.). IAA was detected in 47.4%, GAD Ab in 33.8%, IA2 in 8.9% and ICA in 1.4% of the subjects. When based on post-glucagon C-peptide level of 600 pmol/L, 172 (80.7%) patients had inadequate pancreatic reserve, while the remainder 41(19.3%) showed normal response. The autoantibodies, either alone or in combination, were detectable in both groups of patients; higher prevalence in those with poor or no beta-cell function (73.3% versus 46.3%, p = 0.0001). Although the prevalence of GAD Ab was highest in newly diagnosed patients (< 5 years), unlike IA2 and ICA, the marker remained detectable in 24-25% of those patients with long-standing disease. Nineteen patients could probably belong to the "latent autoimmune diabetes in adults (LADA)" subset, where pancreatic reserve was adequate but patients had detectable autoantibodies and insulin-requiring. On the other hand, 68 of the 213 patients (32%) were seronegative, but presented with near or total beta-cell destruction. Thus, as has also been suggested by others, there is indeed etiological differences between the Asian and the Caucasian Type 1 diabetics, and, there is also the possibility that other, but unknown autoantigens are involved in causing the pancreatic damage.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)318-323
Number of pages6
JournalMedical Journal of Malaysia
Volume55
Issue number3
Publication statusPublished - Sep 2000
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus
Autoantibodies
Glucagon
Insulin
C-Peptide
Autoantigens
Islets of Langerhans
Phosphoric Monoester Hydrolases
Tyrosine
Fasting
Cross-Sectional Studies

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Medicine(all)

Cite this

Nazaimoon, W. M., Kamaruddin, N. A., Rasat, R., Ismail, I. S., Singaraveloo, M., Mohamad, W. B., ... Khalid, B. A. (2000). Autoimmune markers in young Malaysian patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Medical Journal of Malaysia, 55(3), 318-323.

Autoimmune markers in young Malaysian patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus. / Nazaimoon, W. M.; Kamaruddin, Nor Azmi; Rasat, Rahmah; Ismail, I. S.; Singaraveloo, M.; Mohamad, W. B.; Letchuman, R.; Sheriff, I. H.; Faridah, I.; Khalid, B. A.

In: Medical Journal of Malaysia, Vol. 55, No. 3, 09.2000, p. 318-323.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Nazaimoon, WM, Kamaruddin, NA, Rasat, R, Ismail, IS, Singaraveloo, M, Mohamad, WB, Letchuman, R, Sheriff, IH, Faridah, I & Khalid, BA 2000, 'Autoimmune markers in young Malaysian patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.', Medical Journal of Malaysia, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 318-323.
Nazaimoon WM, Kamaruddin NA, Rasat R, Ismail IS, Singaraveloo M, Mohamad WB et al. Autoimmune markers in young Malaysian patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Medical Journal of Malaysia. 2000 Sep;55(3):318-323.
Nazaimoon, W. M. ; Kamaruddin, Nor Azmi ; Rasat, Rahmah ; Ismail, I. S. ; Singaraveloo, M. ; Mohamad, W. B. ; Letchuman, R. ; Sheriff, I. H. ; Faridah, I. ; Khalid, B. A. / Autoimmune markers in young Malaysian patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus. In: Medical Journal of Malaysia. 2000 ; Vol. 55, No. 3. pp. 318-323.
@article{b5e17adfb8ae4adbb33886728c86d98f,
title = "Autoimmune markers in young Malaysian patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.",
abstract = "This study determined the prevalence and significance of autoantibodies to GAD65 (GAD Ab), insulin (IAA), tyrosine-like phosphatase (IA2) and islet-cell (ICA) in a group of 213 young Malaysian Type 1 diabetics, diagnosed before the age of 40 years. Venous blood was taken at fasting, and at 6 minutes post-glucagon (1 mg i.v.). IAA was detected in 47.4{\%}, GAD Ab in 33.8{\%}, IA2 in 8.9{\%} and ICA in 1.4{\%} of the subjects. When based on post-glucagon C-peptide level of 600 pmol/L, 172 (80.7{\%}) patients had inadequate pancreatic reserve, while the remainder 41(19.3{\%}) showed normal response. The autoantibodies, either alone or in combination, were detectable in both groups of patients; higher prevalence in those with poor or no beta-cell function (73.3{\%} versus 46.3{\%}, p = 0.0001). Although the prevalence of GAD Ab was highest in newly diagnosed patients (< 5 years), unlike IA2 and ICA, the marker remained detectable in 24-25{\%} of those patients with long-standing disease. Nineteen patients could probably belong to the {"}latent autoimmune diabetes in adults (LADA){"} subset, where pancreatic reserve was adequate but patients had detectable autoantibodies and insulin-requiring. On the other hand, 68 of the 213 patients (32{\%}) were seronegative, but presented with near or total beta-cell destruction. Thus, as has also been suggested by others, there is indeed etiological differences between the Asian and the Caucasian Type 1 diabetics, and, there is also the possibility that other, but unknown autoantigens are involved in causing the pancreatic damage.",
author = "Nazaimoon, {W. M.} and Kamaruddin, {Nor Azmi} and Rahmah Rasat and Ismail, {I. S.} and M. Singaraveloo and Mohamad, {W. B.} and R. Letchuman and Sheriff, {I. H.} and I. Faridah and Khalid, {B. A.}",
year = "2000",
month = "9",
language = "English",
volume = "55",
pages = "318--323",
journal = "Medical Journal of Malaysia",
issn = "0300-5283",
publisher = "Malaysian Medical Association",
number = "3",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Autoimmune markers in young Malaysian patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.

AU - Nazaimoon, W. M.

AU - Kamaruddin, Nor Azmi

AU - Rasat, Rahmah

AU - Ismail, I. S.

AU - Singaraveloo, M.

AU - Mohamad, W. B.

AU - Letchuman, R.

AU - Sheriff, I. H.

AU - Faridah, I.

AU - Khalid, B. A.

PY - 2000/9

Y1 - 2000/9

N2 - This study determined the prevalence and significance of autoantibodies to GAD65 (GAD Ab), insulin (IAA), tyrosine-like phosphatase (IA2) and islet-cell (ICA) in a group of 213 young Malaysian Type 1 diabetics, diagnosed before the age of 40 years. Venous blood was taken at fasting, and at 6 minutes post-glucagon (1 mg i.v.). IAA was detected in 47.4%, GAD Ab in 33.8%, IA2 in 8.9% and ICA in 1.4% of the subjects. When based on post-glucagon C-peptide level of 600 pmol/L, 172 (80.7%) patients had inadequate pancreatic reserve, while the remainder 41(19.3%) showed normal response. The autoantibodies, either alone or in combination, were detectable in both groups of patients; higher prevalence in those with poor or no beta-cell function (73.3% versus 46.3%, p = 0.0001). Although the prevalence of GAD Ab was highest in newly diagnosed patients (< 5 years), unlike IA2 and ICA, the marker remained detectable in 24-25% of those patients with long-standing disease. Nineteen patients could probably belong to the "latent autoimmune diabetes in adults (LADA)" subset, where pancreatic reserve was adequate but patients had detectable autoantibodies and insulin-requiring. On the other hand, 68 of the 213 patients (32%) were seronegative, but presented with near or total beta-cell destruction. Thus, as has also been suggested by others, there is indeed etiological differences between the Asian and the Caucasian Type 1 diabetics, and, there is also the possibility that other, but unknown autoantigens are involved in causing the pancreatic damage.

AB - This study determined the prevalence and significance of autoantibodies to GAD65 (GAD Ab), insulin (IAA), tyrosine-like phosphatase (IA2) and islet-cell (ICA) in a group of 213 young Malaysian Type 1 diabetics, diagnosed before the age of 40 years. Venous blood was taken at fasting, and at 6 minutes post-glucagon (1 mg i.v.). IAA was detected in 47.4%, GAD Ab in 33.8%, IA2 in 8.9% and ICA in 1.4% of the subjects. When based on post-glucagon C-peptide level of 600 pmol/L, 172 (80.7%) patients had inadequate pancreatic reserve, while the remainder 41(19.3%) showed normal response. The autoantibodies, either alone or in combination, were detectable in both groups of patients; higher prevalence in those with poor or no beta-cell function (73.3% versus 46.3%, p = 0.0001). Although the prevalence of GAD Ab was highest in newly diagnosed patients (< 5 years), unlike IA2 and ICA, the marker remained detectable in 24-25% of those patients with long-standing disease. Nineteen patients could probably belong to the "latent autoimmune diabetes in adults (LADA)" subset, where pancreatic reserve was adequate but patients had detectable autoantibodies and insulin-requiring. On the other hand, 68 of the 213 patients (32%) were seronegative, but presented with near or total beta-cell destruction. Thus, as has also been suggested by others, there is indeed etiological differences between the Asian and the Caucasian Type 1 diabetics, and, there is also the possibility that other, but unknown autoantigens are involved in causing the pancreatic damage.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0034277469&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0034277469&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 11200711

AN - SCOPUS:0034277469

VL - 55

SP - 318

EP - 323

JO - Medical Journal of Malaysia

JF - Medical Journal of Malaysia

SN - 0300-5283

IS - 3

ER -