Application of Analytical Hierarchy Process (AHP) and Factor Analysis Model (FAM) for Landslide Susceptibility Analysis (LSA) at Kota Kinabalu area, Sabah, Malaysia

Rodeano Roslee, Felix Tongkul, A. Khairut Termizi, Norbert Simon

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

The aim of this study was to produce Landslide Susceptibility Level (LSL) map for Kota Kinabalu area in Sabah, Malaysia by using both Analytical Hierarchy Process (AHP) and Factor Analysis Model (FAM). Firstly, landslide locations were identified by aerial photographs and satellite images interpretations, field observation and secondary data resources. A total of 367 landslides were mapped from various sources. Secondly, the landslide inventory maps were randomly split into a dataset of 256 landslides (70 %) for running the both models and the remaining 110 landslides (30%) was used for validation purpose. Fifteen data layers, as the landslide causing factors has been used to detect the most susceptible areas. These factors are lithology, soil textures, lineament, weathering, magnitude, spreading distance, slope angle, height slope, rainfall, groundwater level, landuse, friction angle, cohesion, shear strength and rock quality designation (RQD). Lastly, LSL maps were produced using AHP and FAM. For verification purpose, Area Under the Curve (AUC) method were used in the format of GIS (Geographic Information Systems). The verification result showed that AHP (91%) performed better than FAM (85%) for the study area. The resulting LSL map can be used by local administrator or developers to locate areas prone to landslides, determine the land use suitability area as well as to organize more detailed analysis of the identified "hot spot" areas.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)18-30
Number of pages13
JournalASM Science Journal
Volume11
Issue numberSpecial Issue 3
Publication statusPublished - 1 Jan 2018

Fingerprint

analytical hierarchy process
factor analysis
landslide
rock quality designation
process analysis
analysis
slope angle
soil texture
lineament
cohesion
aerial photograph
shear strength
hot spot
lithology
friction
weathering
land use

Keywords

  • Analytical Hierarchy Process (AHP)
  • Factor Analysis Model (FAM)
  • Landslide Susceptibility Analysis (LSA)
  • Sabah

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • General

Cite this

Application of Analytical Hierarchy Process (AHP) and Factor Analysis Model (FAM) for Landslide Susceptibility Analysis (LSA) at Kota Kinabalu area, Sabah, Malaysia. / Roslee, Rodeano; Tongkul, Felix; Khairut Termizi, A.; Simon, Norbert.

In: ASM Science Journal, Vol. 11, No. Special Issue 3, 01.01.2018, p. 18-30.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{7630564f459144fabfa1b7636d6c0e44,
title = "Application of Analytical Hierarchy Process (AHP) and Factor Analysis Model (FAM) for Landslide Susceptibility Analysis (LSA) at Kota Kinabalu area, Sabah, Malaysia",
abstract = "The aim of this study was to produce Landslide Susceptibility Level (LSL) map for Kota Kinabalu area in Sabah, Malaysia by using both Analytical Hierarchy Process (AHP) and Factor Analysis Model (FAM). Firstly, landslide locations were identified by aerial photographs and satellite images interpretations, field observation and secondary data resources. A total of 367 landslides were mapped from various sources. Secondly, the landslide inventory maps were randomly split into a dataset of 256 landslides (70 {\%}) for running the both models and the remaining 110 landslides (30{\%}) was used for validation purpose. Fifteen data layers, as the landslide causing factors has been used to detect the most susceptible areas. These factors are lithology, soil textures, lineament, weathering, magnitude, spreading distance, slope angle, height slope, rainfall, groundwater level, landuse, friction angle, cohesion, shear strength and rock quality designation (RQD). Lastly, LSL maps were produced using AHP and FAM. For verification purpose, Area Under the Curve (AUC) method were used in the format of GIS (Geographic Information Systems). The verification result showed that AHP (91{\%}) performed better than FAM (85{\%}) for the study area. The resulting LSL map can be used by local administrator or developers to locate areas prone to landslides, determine the land use suitability area as well as to organize more detailed analysis of the identified {"}hot spot{"} areas.",
keywords = "Analytical Hierarchy Process (AHP), Factor Analysis Model (FAM), Landslide Susceptibility Analysis (LSA), Sabah",
author = "Rodeano Roslee and Felix Tongkul and {Khairut Termizi}, A. and Norbert Simon",
year = "2018",
month = "1",
day = "1",
language = "English",
volume = "11",
pages = "18--30",
journal = "ASM Science Journal",
issn = "1823-6782",
publisher = "Akademi Sains Malaysia",
number = "Special Issue 3",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Application of Analytical Hierarchy Process (AHP) and Factor Analysis Model (FAM) for Landslide Susceptibility Analysis (LSA) at Kota Kinabalu area, Sabah, Malaysia

AU - Roslee, Rodeano

AU - Tongkul, Felix

AU - Khairut Termizi, A.

AU - Simon, Norbert

PY - 2018/1/1

Y1 - 2018/1/1

N2 - The aim of this study was to produce Landslide Susceptibility Level (LSL) map for Kota Kinabalu area in Sabah, Malaysia by using both Analytical Hierarchy Process (AHP) and Factor Analysis Model (FAM). Firstly, landslide locations were identified by aerial photographs and satellite images interpretations, field observation and secondary data resources. A total of 367 landslides were mapped from various sources. Secondly, the landslide inventory maps were randomly split into a dataset of 256 landslides (70 %) for running the both models and the remaining 110 landslides (30%) was used for validation purpose. Fifteen data layers, as the landslide causing factors has been used to detect the most susceptible areas. These factors are lithology, soil textures, lineament, weathering, magnitude, spreading distance, slope angle, height slope, rainfall, groundwater level, landuse, friction angle, cohesion, shear strength and rock quality designation (RQD). Lastly, LSL maps were produced using AHP and FAM. For verification purpose, Area Under the Curve (AUC) method were used in the format of GIS (Geographic Information Systems). The verification result showed that AHP (91%) performed better than FAM (85%) for the study area. The resulting LSL map can be used by local administrator or developers to locate areas prone to landslides, determine the land use suitability area as well as to organize more detailed analysis of the identified "hot spot" areas.

AB - The aim of this study was to produce Landslide Susceptibility Level (LSL) map for Kota Kinabalu area in Sabah, Malaysia by using both Analytical Hierarchy Process (AHP) and Factor Analysis Model (FAM). Firstly, landslide locations were identified by aerial photographs and satellite images interpretations, field observation and secondary data resources. A total of 367 landslides were mapped from various sources. Secondly, the landslide inventory maps were randomly split into a dataset of 256 landslides (70 %) for running the both models and the remaining 110 landslides (30%) was used for validation purpose. Fifteen data layers, as the landslide causing factors has been used to detect the most susceptible areas. These factors are lithology, soil textures, lineament, weathering, magnitude, spreading distance, slope angle, height slope, rainfall, groundwater level, landuse, friction angle, cohesion, shear strength and rock quality designation (RQD). Lastly, LSL maps were produced using AHP and FAM. For verification purpose, Area Under the Curve (AUC) method were used in the format of GIS (Geographic Information Systems). The verification result showed that AHP (91%) performed better than FAM (85%) for the study area. The resulting LSL map can be used by local administrator or developers to locate areas prone to landslides, determine the land use suitability area as well as to organize more detailed analysis of the identified "hot spot" areas.

KW - Analytical Hierarchy Process (AHP)

KW - Factor Analysis Model (FAM)

KW - Landslide Susceptibility Analysis (LSA)

KW - Sabah

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85062057127&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=85062057127&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

AN - SCOPUS:85062057127

VL - 11

SP - 18

EP - 30

JO - ASM Science Journal

JF - ASM Science Journal

SN - 1823-6782

IS - Special Issue 3

ER -